Ordering & InfoSupport ForumSupport DeskContact UsEmail Sign-UpReseller Finder

After Rust Blast, how much is too much rust?

Jorts

Hi,

I’m using the KBS tank sealer kit. After KBS Klean, my tank looked better (last of 3 pics, still wet). After Rust Blast, rinse and dry, it looks as rusty as before (first 2  pics) and does not appear to have the white zinc phosphate coating. 

Am I still good to proceed to the Tank Sealer step?

Thanks,

Jorts

07DABAA8-E205-422D-B6FB-594E79B3D180.jpeg

D9D31749-B74D-4EFC-A682-B464A3F5B044.jpeg

DB1BE714-7B0B-45FA-9728-331ADAF509FC.jpeg

Thank you for posting. We appreciate it.

We have a few questions that will help us help you.

1) For how long did you soak each side (6 sides total) of the tank with RustBlast?

2) After you rinsed the tank with water, did you dry the tank at all or just let it air dry?

3) In what part of the Country do you live?

We are really looking forward to your replies, and of course, assisting you further.

1)  The first soak was about 2 hours. The second was about 30 minutes. Both times, turning the tank, wetting all sides and setting down on a new side every 5 minutes.

2)  I rinsed the tank with running water for 10-15 minutes and let it air dry. It was a hot day and visible water had evaporated in about 20 minutes.

3) Live in Arlington, VA

Other possibly useful information: I used a 1/2 quart of Rust Blast each soak. Directions say it's good for up to a 5-gallon tank, and this tank is only 2 gallons. 

Thanks for the quick response.

Hi,

Some faces look great, others not so much. I was careful to not shake or whip the sealer, but it looks like some air bubbles were introduced while I was gently tumbling the tank. Will these be an issue? I was also careful to not let the sealer puddle, but I'm not sure I could have avoided these drips. You can see some of the drips have dried into a sort of wrinkle. As far as I can tell, the sealant that contains these bubbles and wrinkles is rigid and providing full coverage. Outside temperature was low 70's and I did this under shade if that makes a difference.

Thanks

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Thank you for the pictures. As you can see from the pictures, the Tank Sealer micro bubbled where it was too thick. We very clearly advise against letting the Tank Sealer puddle or get thick in areas in our directions. If the design of the tank makes complete draining difficult, rotate the tank very frequently into different positions during this time to help minimize excess accumulation in any single area. You can rotate the tank for up to 8 hours. Foaming & bubbling are signs of excessive Sealer accumulation and gas entrapment due to ineffective drainage.

At this point, let the Tank Sealer cure for 2 weeks or so and then take a wire coat hanger, unfold it and poke those areas to be sure they have hardened up and are not soft. As long as the Tank Sealer has hardened up, you should be good.

Please let us know if that helps and if you have any additional questions.

• 11 months later...

Update: As instructed, I let the tank sealer cure for two weeks then attempted to pop any bubbles with a wire coat hanger - they were solid. I mounted the tank and used the bike all last summer without issue. There was gasoline in the tank all winter and when I started it up last weekend, there were no issues. The tank sealer inside looks fine. Great product and great customer service. Thanks KBS!