Ordering & InfoSupport ForumSupport DeskContact UsEmail Sign-UpReseller Finder

Using Black Top underneath rockers, and spraying KBS.

TommyZ

I just placed my very first order a few minutes ago for a red oxide frame coating kit. Looking forward to the application on my 2000 Ford F-350 chassis when I get it. I've gone ahead and did a LOT of prep work already, as I have the bed off and easy access to the frame rails. I've descaled it, and plan on having a pretty smooth surface once I'm done to be ready for paint. I am putting a brand new 7.5 ft. steel deck flatbed on in place of the oem bed, so the frame will be visible and I'd like to have a nice oxide red frame in contrast with the black cab and flatbed. Is it going to be OK to apply the KBS with a cheaper gravity fed spraygun from Harbor Freight Tools without any hassles? I figure I don't do much spraying, so a $14.99 throw-away gun would be my best option. I already installed a new filter on my compressor, and plan on using moisture filters on the air inlet of the gun as well to prevent moisture. In additon to this question, I bought an extra pint which is a seperate color (black) for the underside of the floor pan, and the inside of the rockers. I plan on brushing that on. If I strip the surface to bare metal, do I still need to aqua clean/rust blast the rockers before painting that on? The only reason I wanted to spray the frame was to ensure proper coverage inside the rails, as it's tough to do with a brush around wiring, lines, etc. I have covered all the wiring and unintended painted parts with aluminum foil for ease of cleanup afterwards.

Yes, we have had many customers use "throw away" grade guns to spray our coatings. Just make sure the filter is right at the gun and use KBS #1 Thinner to reduce the RustSeal 10%. Please remember that RustSeal will dull and chalk if consistently exposed to sunlight. If you have areas that will be consistently exposed to sunlight, you will want to top coat the RustSeal with a solid color UV stable paint (such as our BlackTop). It is always best to use KBS Klean and RustBlast to prep your surface for long term performance of the RustSeal. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any additional questions.

So to elaborate a bit more...the black Rust Seal I ordered for underneath my cab floorpans and rockers would be fine without any black top correct?(I don't care if that fades anyways...you'll never see it there.) All I care about with that application is adhesion, more than anything else. And, the Red Oxide I am painting the entire chassis with...will be covered by the flatbed body, but have very limited sunlight exposure. You're thinking that will eventually turn chalky in time if I don't put a clear coat of some type over the red oxide then? I'd kind of like that to remain a nice, deep ceramic appearance if at all possible. Thanks again!

• 2 years later...