Ordering & InfoSupport ForumSupport DeskContact UsEmail Sign-UpReseller Finder

Paint RustSeal over factory frame paint?

TEDKrech

Can I paint RustSeal over factory frame paint? I live in upstate New York and I just bought an SUV and I want to get a good frame paint on it for rust prevention from the road salts and such.

If I can paint the RustSeal over the factory paint, the frame paint is a dull black, so what prep would I need to do so I can coat it with RustSeal?

Yes, you can absolutely paint RustSeal over your factory frame paint.

All you need to do is get the factory paint clean (with a water based cleaner like AquaKlean) and scuff it up if it is glossy.  Scuffing is only necessary if the paint is glossy and does not provide much of a surface profile for adhesion with the RustSeal.  For you, you have a dull paint, so all you need to do is get the surface clean with AquaKlean and the RustSeal will bite in to the frame paint and get great adhesion.

By coating over your frame paint with RustSeal, you are adding durability and protection.

Please keep in mind that we always recommend applying RustSeal to bare metal (or another substrate) because that gives you the best rust protection, longevity and durability, but RustSeal will bond to your factory frame paint.

You can find RustSeal Directions here: http://www.kbs-coatings.com/rustseal-directions.html