Ordering & InfoSupport ForumSupport DeskContact UsEmail Sign-UpReseller Finder

remove KBS tank sealer

I have been battling removing a failed tank sealer on a 50 gal tank. I used 2 of your 3 step kits as tank was 2x larger than max tank size. got great adhesion on sides of tank but did not allow enough time to drain completely. after finding the puddling on the bottom of the tank I bought 2 gal of methylene chloride stripper and went to work. a week later still fighting getting it out. inside tank is hard, and in some places impossible to scrape after stripper is applied. what do i need to do to completely remove old coating, or can i just get most out and reseal it? I already have 2 more 3 step kits waiting but i don't want to use them if they will fail again.

You can get the tank warmer (70-80 degrees) and that will help the Strip work. You can also let it soak on the coating for 2-4 hours. Once you have softened the coating, you can stick a pressure washer down in there and that should force out the old coating that has already been softened.

Please let me know if any of those tricks help.

have been using it in my garage (about 65*) and have no access to a pressure washer. the striper has been in there all week as I have been trying to scrape it but not having much luck. I have got almost all off the bottom of the tank which is where the problem was, but reaching the sides and top of the tank can not be done.

Use KBS Strip for the most effective removal of an old failed coating. Pour some KBS Strip into tank and carefully rotate tank to allow contact with all sides. It may take multiple applications of KBS Strip to finish the job completely. Old Sealer may come loose in big chunks or small pieces so use a long tweezers-type tool to help remove it from the tank. After stripping is complete, rinse tank generously with water and proceed with the KBS 3-Step System for Fuel Tank Preparation & Sealing. (NOTE: When stripping a Fiberglass Tank, surface contact with the stripping agent should be kept to a minimum to avoid the attack & weakening of the fiberglass resin.)