Ordering & InfoSupport ForumSupport DeskContact UsEmail Sign-UpReseller Finder

Blacktop satin black shelf life?

slofut

Had a problem a few months ago with unopened Blacktop Satin Black (a full qt and a pint hard in the can) Talked with Jim (nice guy and very informative) who explained it was a problem with the flattening additive containing a minute amount of h2o, and that they were working on it. Ended up with a service ticket # but no resolution to my problem so I'm out 2 full cans of blacktop. It's been a few months now and I'm wondering if they have the short shelf life problem resolved. It's a fantastic product except for this issue and it's about the only MCU in satin black that's uv resistant. I'd like to try it again but with 2 cans on my shelf to remind me, I need to get some feedback first. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks,

Bill

Ben,

Thanks so much for your help on the phone this morning. I've been using MCU's since P**15 hit the market in the 80's. I've tried just about every brand out there and used some structurally with fiberglass cloth to make custom automotive pieces and even to repair air dams etc! Yours is definitely one of my favorites. I hope you can work out the satin finish, it would be a real advantage to have a single part mcu like blacktop in satin black. ...an old school trick I've seen (but not used) is to add talc powder?

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I like the way blacktop flows out, the satin finish was awesome and seemed to be much harder/tougher than competitors. Also, to be able to call and talk to guys like you and Jim, who actually know a bit about the chemistry of the product is worth a lot. I am wondering though, why does rustseal mcu work as a satin finish but not blacktop?