HomeOrdering & InfoSupport ForumFAQ'sContact UsReseller FinderFree Catalog

MarkW

Rust coming through Rust Seal coat

I coated a motorcycle tank with Rust Seal and am mostly happy with it, but I have a couple of areas of rust definitely showing through the coating.  The coating appears to be adhering well, and there are no blisters or peeling, but there is definitely rust coming through where perhaps the coating is thin.  The tank has fuel in it, but I can see the rust forming in the bottom. 

What can I do to fix this?  Can I clean the tank again, use Rust Blast and then put more Rust Seal on it, or do I need to strip the RustSeal and start over (hoping to just recoat, not strip and recoat).  Please help. 

Thanks

I sealed the inside of the tank.  My posting was incorrect (went back and checked) - I used Tank Sealer, as you suggest.  Thanks for your prompt response. and looking forward to your help with this. 

It is important to know that Tank Sealer does not stick well to cured Tank Sealer without some help. With that in mind, here is what you can do to put a second coat of Tank Sealer in your tank.

1) Clean the inside of the tank extremely well with KBS Klean to get rid of all fuel residue. The sealed tank needs to be very clean. Let the tank dry out 100%.

2) Pour some Fusion Self-Etch Primer in the tank. Roll around so all sides have a nice thin coat and drain out the excess. (Fusion is designed to go on as a dust coat so thin is perfect).

3) Let the tank sit overnight so the Fusion Self-Etch Primer has proper time to cure.

4) Pour another can of Tank Sealer in the tank. Rotate the tank slowly and get all sides coated evenly and then drain out the excess. Be careful to not let the Tank Sealer puddle.

5) Let the tank cure for at least 4 days before putting it back in service.

Please let us know if that helps and if you have any additional questions.