Ordering & InfoSupport ForumSupport DeskContact UsEmail Sign-UpReseller Finder

Diamond Finish clear orange peel problems

RGaefe

I just recently bought some DF clear and your thinner in hopes to put a beautiful glossy clear on a maple drum shell. I've just about used up the product trying to get the finish to lay down on scrap before I apply to my fairly expensive raw drum ($100).

I just purchased a Harbor Freight hvlp sprayer that includes the air turbine, gun and three different sized nozzle tips 1.4 and 1.8 used. I decided to start by applying a thin coat of DF on the wood with a brush (not reduced). I let dry 24 hrs. Then sanded using 320 grit.

I reduced the DF by 10% and tried applying to different pieces of wood using both

tips using amounts of flow through the gun. I can't seem to

get a nice coat down. Nothing but orange peel.

Like I said, I'm running out of the DF and pretty frustrated at this point. I know the DF clear will look great as soon as I can get it down properly. Any suggestions? Thanks! P.S. the spray area temp is right around 67 f.

I would, but there isn't an adjustment for air pressure. One adjustment for the air/product flow on the gun.

I'll give the smaller tip and moderate flow of air and product. I'll let you know later today. The temp should be a bit warmer today. Maybe that will hope.

Well, used smaller tip (1.0mm), thinned the DF by

15% and reduced air/product flow at the gun. Sealer coat looks pretty good except tiny popped bubbles. Will sand out tomorrow and will increase the flow a little for the actual first coat. Hopefully weather will be like today to apply the coat tomorrow. I will keep you updated. The wood I'm using has been blown clean and tack clothed after sanding to provide the cleanest surface possible.

Well, weather has been too cool/wet to spray the last couple of days. Today I decided to brush the first coat on. Hopefully dry enough by 3:30pm pacific time to brush on the second coat. I may just ditch the sprayers and just brush on. Hey, if it gets the results I'm looking for, who cares how it's applied! I'll let you know. Thanks.