Ordering & InfoSupport ForumSupport DeskContact UsEmail Sign-UpReseller Finder

Fiberglass over Rust Seal?

madmatt2024

I have a hole that I need to patch in the fender well of my car. Because of its position I can't weld in a patch so I will be using fiberglass. The surface is rusty and given its position I can't get all the rust off. Would I be able to treat the area with Rust Seal first and then put fiberglass over the sealed surface to cover the hole? I plan to paint Rust Seal over the fiberglass patch as well.

What size is the hole? If it is small hole (nickel or less) then you can use the BackBone Reinforcing Mesh. If it is larger than a nickel, you can use the NuMetal Epoxy Putty.

If you do use the BackBone Reinforcing Mesh, here is how you will want to do it with the RustSeal.

The surface to be repaired must first be cleaned and prepped with AquaKlean and RustBlast and allowed to completely dry.

Precut a piece(s) of BackBone (slightly larger than the area that is being repaired).

Proceed by applying a thin layer (2ml) of RustSeal on and around the weakened area(s).

Embed the precut mesh directly into the wet RustSeal by dabbing it with your brush to ensure complete contact of the mesh into the RustSeal.

NOTE: If the hole is over 1” in diameter, cover the hole from the underside with duct tape to prevent BackBone from sagging as it dries. The duct tape can then be easily removed after drying.

After allowing the RustSeal and mesh to tack up slightly, re-apply another thin coat (2ml) of RustSeal painting outward from the center. Do not allow RustSeal to pool or puddle. Excess accumulation of RustSeal will produce bubbling and result in improper adhesion.

Let cure for at least 4-5 hours.